Sunday, August 1, 2010

Family Movie Night: The Book of Alice

I'm sure none of you have ever heard of the movie "The Book of Alice". I'd be surprised if you did. The name kind of goes hand in hand with the two movies I've watched this past week. One, you might've figured out for yourself: Alice in Wonderland, and the second: The Book of Eli. Both very good, both very different.
Alice in Wonderland was a great film and it was what it was. A lot of CGI, which is acceptable seeing as we are in a made-up magical world. I enjoyed it, but not as much as I had thought, but still very enjoyable. I never actually read the book, so I wasn't really looking forward to any certain moments. Each actor did their job and I'd consider it a very great family movie. Family films were never really one of my favorites, unless we're talking Toy Story 3, or Up, but this was just not one of my favorites. But don't get me wrong, it was good, just not my good.
The Book of Eli, on the other hand, was more of my kind of movie. The whole storyline really got me, although a few scenes were quite obvious as to what would happen next. Denzel Washington played a great Eli, and he really portrayed his character well. I would have never thought Mila Kunis would so such a great job with her character since I've grown up watching her on That 70's show. I'll be a bit biased and say the film, overall, was very enjoyable and it really kept my eyes glued to the screen. The ending was all that I hoped for, happy. It rides on the more religious side of things, but that was no problem for me. It really has made it's way onto my list of favorites.

Both very great films, both I'd recommend. Watch Alice in Wonderland if you love made-up worlds and imagination, if you're looking for a great family flick, or if you're a fan of Johnny Depp. The Book of Eli, filled with action (blood, guns, knives), a great storyline, and Denzel Washington.

No comments:

Post a Comment