Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Iron Man Weekend

This past Sunday was the annual Tin Man here in Hawaii. It was also a pretty busy day for me, being out for majority of the day and only being able to take a nap for about 30 minutes before heading out again. Thank God I brought along my camera to share with you that day's adventures.

First up, the Tin Man. You might be thinking, what the hell is the Tin Man?! That's exactly what came to my mind when my brother brought up the event to me a couple of months ago. It's the brain child of four athletes who were inspired by the Ironman Triathlon on the Big Island of Hawaii. Nothing like an elite type of race, but made for any athlete who is looking for a challenge. The Tin Man is an annual event and has been held in the same area for the last 30 years. Here are a few pictures of my first experience watching the triathlon:

We started the day off bright and early, leaving at about 5:30. We missed the swimming portion of the race, but were able to catch the biking. These guys were going down hills at about 30 mph, some even on fixed gear bikes, and for those who ride fixed gears would know how hard that can be.
It was a journey back the beginning of the course to catch the running portion of the race. We were near the finish line. Hot, fit guys galore!
Unfortunately, I missed my brother on his bike. One, because he was going about 30 mph; and two, we had no idea it was him (I thought he was wearing red, he was wearing black and blue). We did see him running though.
This little bird was enjoying the race as well.
We met up with my brother at the refueling station at the finish line. We got to see the rest of the finishers, and for someone who was single, it was probably heaven.
Men without their shirts, sweating, and pouring water on themselves. It was amazing. :)

Afterward, we had lunch at Koa Pancake House near the Navy Exchange. I had a strawberry crepe. We then headed to Vitamin World to read about and check out Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps, a.k.a. Jesus Soap. I'll have a post about the Magic Soap soon enough.

I took a quick nap, and we headed down to Ewa Beach to check out my cousin's new home. It's a huge step up from their previous quarters. The house is going through a bit of a makeover at the moment, so it was quite empty, and the grass - brown. I loved the lighting everywhere:
They have a very open kitchen. A staircase is located to the right of this picture leading up to the rest of the rooms.
The adults were weeding out the front yard and getting rid of unnecessary plants. On the bottom half of the picture, you can see that the Hawaiian Islands are embedded into their yard. It's one of the few features they're keeping.
Their cute little dog. Its name is Mogi.
Another trip home and a quick rest, and we were back out the door to a birthday party for another cousin. This time, in Whitmore. She turned 13 that day. I wasn't able to get a picture of her because I forgot my camera inside, then I totally forgot about getting her picture afterward and it was too late. But, I did get a picture of her delicious cake. Chantilly with a scoop of chocolate chip ice cream.
Here are a few pictures of my niece and nephew. Cute kids. My nephew is a rascal, but what do you expect, right? We messed with him and told he would be a very hot interracial private school kid with the girls all over him when he's older. It was all the truth.
His sister is a cutie pie. She's always dressed in really cute, matching outfits - mostly pink or red with a matching head band. She took off the red head band she was wearing that night.
If you tell her to do "Pretty Eyes" she squints in an attempt to show them to you.
The rest of the night was spent playing with my cousins, neice, and nephew talking about our over bearing parents and wishing they could understand just a few things about being a teenager or even being a young adult.
My cousin, the mother of my niece and nephew mentioned how her mom does say all these things, but being a mother, she has learned that it's just human nature for parents to get mad. One thing we came to the conclusion of is that, our parents tell us to do these things, and if we don't, we get in trouble. But, we grew up with our parents doing this and doing that for us, that it's become a part of our own nature, that we'll have these things done for us as long as they're there. And so yes, I do appreciate what they do for us. On the other hand though, they think we don't do these things because we don't want to, or because we're
trying to be bad, or something. It's one of the reasons why I really wouldn't mind leaving the island and living on my own. I'll be able to use everything my parents have taught me, and I'll be able to show them that I have been listening to them this whole time.

For example, one of my cousins is planning to head off to the Big Island to stay with her boyfriend up until school starts again. Her parents shot down her plans, or tried to, only to come to no avail. She's still going, which I understand. She's 21 years old. I'm sure by the time I turn 21, my parents would be just the same if I had a boyfriend. We'll see though, I have a little over a year until then, and three/four more years until I plan on moving out.

And that was my day. I wish I had more days like this, but with the lack of a car and friends that are too busy working or in summer school, I can only hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment