Sunday, July 25, 2010

Family Movie Night: Double Feature

This past week, we watched not one, but two movies as a family. The movies were at quite opposite ends of the spectrum, but I enjoyed them both.

The first,
Dear John, was one I've been meaning to watch for quite a while but I couldn't find anyone who was willing to go with me while it was in theaters, and so netflix it was. I still have yet to read the book by Nicholas Sparks, which I've heard that is significantly different from the movie. Mainly because John (Channing) actually dies at the end of the book, but lives in the movie (sorry if I have spoiled anything for anyone). Hopefully this will make the book more readable as I'm not too sure what exactly happens.
Overall, the movie was enjoyable and being a girl, I did tear at a few key parts. I'd rate the movie a 3.9/5.

The second,
Edge of Darkness, starring Mel Gibson was a film adaptation of a BBC TV series. It followed Gibson as a detective investigating the murder of his daughter, an activist. The storyline felt a bit overdone and I found myself wanting the movie to be done with so I could find out what the hell happened. There were too many "and the plot thickens' moments. Don't get me wrong though, I did enjoy the movie. There were many scenes that tested Mel Gibson's athletic ability, and even some 'wtf' moments.
My overall rating for the movie would be a 3.5/5, possiblt a bit higher. It is enjoyable, so watch it for yourself. You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment